Thursday, September 11, 2008

Speaking of displays...

I highlighted some great tabletop and mantle displays the other day in my post on ceramic animal figurines. I'm always in awe of people who can arrange things so beautifully in their homes, since I tend to fall in love with objects, but then I'm useless at displaying them in creative ways. Which is why I was delighted to see this post yesterday by Chez Larsson, a Swedish visual merchandiser. She give a simple overview of some basic display techniques used in store displays, like:

Group items in a triangular shape


and repeat similar items in odd numbers
I especially like her trick #5: "Keep it simple. Don't try to display all your nick-nacks at once. Store some and bring them out to switch your displays around." This is something I really need to work on - I tend to put things out and then leave them in the same spot forever.

Check out the full post on Chez Larsson for more pictures and tips from a professional!

No comments: